Saturday, April 05, 2008

Movie Movie



I saw two movies at the Wisconsin Film Festival yesterday. Both were very good, but not quite as much fun as the movies I saw on Thursday.

First up was Bon Cop, Bad Cop, a Canadian buddy cop movie about a Mel Gibsonish loose cannon from Quebec and an uptight Ontarian who get partnered up after some very funny hijinks at a really messy crime scene. I liked it. I was expecting something a bit more parodic, more in the vein of Hot Fuzz, and this did have moments like that (and the villain's motivations and actions are similar in a weird way), but a lot of it played like a real buddy cop movie a la Beverly Hills Cop or Bad Boys II. The violent sight gags are worth it, though, cause they're really funny.

ADDED: the more I think about it, the more I think this actually was a lot like Hot Fuzz, just not quite as funny . . .

I also saw Timecrimes, which was a good head-scratcher. I'm still not sure if it solved all its paradoxes or not, but I suppose that's the way with time travel stories.

No comments: